BLAIRSVILLE, Ga – Blairsville-Union County Georgia Chamber of Commerce plans to host its annual Fourth of July fireworks celebration, but this year, the festivities look a little different.
COVID-19 continues to be a concern in Union County and Georgia as cases grow, but the Chamber has taken social distancing precautions to hopefully keep everyone safe. COVID-19 safety signage will be placed throughout the event to encourage health and safety.
The annual fireworks show takes place at Meeks Park at 9:30 p.m. with reserved parking at the park and North Georgia Technical College (NGTC). However, all reserved parking is sold out. Kona Ice will serve icy treats on the NGTC side.
All public parking is free. The Chamber still encourages social distancing for those spaces but can’t dictate where people park in public spaces.
Attendees can also participate in the Sun and Fun Mountain Raffle for $10 a ticket. If anyone is interested in a ticket, contact the chamber at (706) 745-5789.
As of now, there is no rain date for the event.
Blairsville City Hall and Union County government each donated $7,000 to the event. Woodsmen Life, Cabin Coffee, Blairsville Bikes, Alexanders, United Community Bank, Sears Hometown Store, Dixie Confexions, Union General Health Systems, Nelson Tractor, Longhorn Steakhouse, Nelsons Feed and Hardware, Hughes Outdoor, and Sunrise Grocery all helped to sponsor the event in some way.
Independence Day Options
Also, United Methodist Church plans to open its parking lot at 7 p.m.
Nottely Marina is hosting its annual boat parade at 12 p.m. on Saturday, July 4.
However, Suches Fire Department canceled its fireworks at Woody Gap School in June. It hopes to reschedule.
Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) wishes for everyone to stay close to the people they normally interact with this Independence Day. According to DPH, “this year for the Fourth, do not host or attend gatherings of large groups of people or share food or beverage items, and it is preferable that events are outdoors.”
Additionally, be sure to take each of these protective measures:
- Wear a cloth face covering or mask
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water or use hand sanitizer
- Maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet
- Avoid physical contact with others by not giving hugs, handshakes, high fives, or fist bumps
- Keep surfaces and frequently used objects disinfected
- Have an emergency kit handy that includes protective items such as face coverings, tissues, hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol, disinfectant wipes, etc.
- Be mindful of people who are at high risk for becoming infected and have underlying medical conditions that could cause them to become more seriously ill with COVID-19
FetchYourNews.com, TeamFYNSports, and FYNTV.com would like to wish all of our viewers and readers a
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!